Thursday, July 01, 2010

Japanese Manhole Cover Quilts - looking back





Japanese Manhole Cover Quilts- by Shirley MacGregor - Looking Back


Through mutual friends, I was ask by Shirley MacGregor to participate in her fiber - Japanese manhole cover project and books. I was given a small black and white sketch of a design from a particular Japanese city's manhole cover. Each city in Japan has different designs on their manhole covers, pertaining to that city. I was to translate it into fiber. I have a quilt published in each of Shirley's books, but I made a total of three manhole cover quilts. All three of my quilts went on tour around the world to be in exhibits. We received the quilt back after a 3-5 year tour. They are back home with me now. I made these quilts in 1998, 1999 and 2001.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home